Sunday, November 17, 2013

{Another Thing} I Never Heard in Fundamentalism

Last spring, Craig and I started teaching 4th and 5th grade Kidsway (what they call Sunday school at our church). The other morning I was going over our lesson and was really struck by this: "Showing honor demonstrates that we see others as God sees them. Every person we meet has value to God and deserves our honor."

As often happens at Crossway, I wonder at how I spent so much time as a child and teen in church and never heard that. Maybe it was being said, but it was not being lived or demonstrated in any observable way. And certainly that idea was not encouraged at Bob Jones. The only people being honored were the ones holy enough to follow all the (externally observable) rules.

How would it change my interactions with people if I lived this out - that every person I meet has value to God and deserves our honor?

2 comments:

  1. Really love this! I agree---I never heard this in fundy world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been challenged by this over the last few years. Whenever I have a judgmental thought creep in, I try to remind myself of this, and that I am no better. "Be devoted to one another in love, honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord." Romans 12: 10-11

    ReplyDelete