Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It started with these ruffle trees. How cute, right? So I bookmarked it and stashed it away in my mind to make this year. Then I saw this variation on the Craft Catwalk and thought how much easier that would be.

So in between printing Lego party stuff and sanding another project, I did this one afternoon:



I used my 1.5" circle punch on this graphic from the Graphics Fairy (also a Craft Catwalk find, I think). I used 4 for this but had to print 5 since apparently Kate needed one. I used my glue gun to attach them and sort of arranged them in a random pattern, overlapping to cover the styrofoam. I sealed it with glossy modge podge and sprinkled on some glitter. I finished it with some hemp from Close to my Heart and two little rusticy bells that I've had forever.


The wooden topper and stand came from the wood stuff aisle at AC Moore. I spray-painted them black and since that's flat, I did a coat of glossy sealer. I just hot glued those on and could not BELIEVE how great it looked. I am just thrilled it turned out great with such little effort. I was all I love it when a craft comes together and since I thought that was so clever I put it as my FB status.


Since I was high on success, I made a ruffly one. This one was a little more work (it's hard to ruffle burlap and I don't have a fancy ruffler foot [doesn't that thing look cool?] like Shanty 2 Chic has); I kept having to yank ruffles off the melted styrfoam to re-arrange the layers AND the hot glue was messing up my manicure. But I LOVE how it turned out:




I was pulling one of the threads in the burlap to make a straight line to cut (saw this idea online but don't have the link) and realized it was ruffling as I pulled so I ran it through the machine and straightened the edges. I got the muslin in the remnant bin a JoAnne's and frayed the edges of that, too. I ruffled that the old-fashioned way, by doing a running stitch and then pulling the bobbin thread. Same topper and "trunk" as the other but painted off-white (with really old trim paint).


That fully awesome advent calendar came from Country Treasures in Maine and I have to say I've been wanting something like that for longer than I can remember, but everything was either wildly expensive (I'm looking at you, Pottery Barn) or gaudy or cheesy or just not right. But that one? Perfect. I put the bow on it and like some of my mother-in-law's friends suggested, I could use it for more than Christmas by switching out the bow. It's a teeny bit sparkly and perfect.


So what are you waiting for? Go grab some styrofoam cones (I got mine at AC Moore but I later I saw some at the dollar store) and make your own.

1 comment:

  1. the music tree is super cute!
    and I LOVE THE ADVENT BOX!!! I got a cheesy one at the CTS but I have been looking for a more tasteful one :)

    ReplyDelete