I have never cooked the Thanksgiving dinner; we either go to my mom's or my mother-in-law's. When we were first married and didn't have kids we went to Craig's aunt and uncle's. I did roast a turkey one year in like March and a bunch of Craig's cousins came over and that was fun, but it wasn't official Thanksgiving. This year, my parents are coming here and I am beyond excited to be planning and making my first Thanksgiving meal. Here are ten things on the menu:
1. Turkey, of course. I have a lovely large pan and rack I got all those years ago for the other turkey.
2. Mashed Potatoes: my fave.
3. Green Bean Casserole: the classic. Craig loves it.
4. Pennsylvania Dutch Potato and Bread Filling: maybe I'll share. It's from my Grandma Reidenouer.
5. Crescent Rolls: you know, the ones from the pop can. This comes from Craig's side of the family; my family never really had bread with the meals but now I love 'em.
6. Pumpkin Pie: It is not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie.
7. Pecan Praline Pie: the Leland family classic
8. Pumpkin-Almond Cheesecake: because it looks good and why not? I use the springform pan once a year; this could make it two times.
9. Hot Curried Fruit Compote: another Reidenouer tradition
10. Another veggie, probably those carrots with caramelized onions
Probably some stove-top stuffing (Craig likes it from a box so that's easy) and of course a lovely and simple gravy from pan juices. Maybe a spinach-artichoke dip for an appetizer/pre-dinner snack.
What are you planning?
Linking to Top Ten Tuesday at ohamanda.