Tuesday, November 15, 2011

{Top Ten Tuesday} Thanksgiving

I have never cooked the Thanksgiving dinner; we either go to my mom's or my mother-in-law's. When we were first married and didn't have kids we went to Craig's aunt and uncle's. I did roast a turkey one year in like March and a bunch of Craig's cousins came over and that was fun, but it wasn't official Thanksgiving. This year, my parents are coming here and I am beyond excited to be planning and making my first Thanksgiving meal. Here are ten things on the menu:

1. Turkey, of course. I have a lovely large pan and rack I got all those years ago for the other turkey.

2. Mashed Potatoes: my fave.

3. Green Bean Casserole: the classic. Craig loves it.

4. Pennsylvania Dutch Potato and Bread Filling: maybe I'll share. It's from my Grandma Reidenouer.

5. Crescent Rolls: you know, the ones from the pop can. This comes from Craig's side of the family; my family never really had bread with the meals but now I love 'em.

6. Pumpkin Pie: It is not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie.

7. Pecan Praline Pie: the Leland family classic

8. Pumpkin-Almond Cheesecake: because it looks good and why not? I use the springform pan once a year; this could make it two times.

9. Hot Curried Fruit Compote: another Reidenouer tradition

10. Another veggie, probably those carrots with caramelized onions

Probably some stove-top stuffing (Craig likes it from a box so that's easy) and of course a lovely and simple gravy from pan juices. Maybe a spinach-artichoke dip for an appetizer/pre-dinner snack.

What are you planning?

Linking to Top Ten Tuesday at ohamanda.

3 comments:

  1. I love your artichoke dip! Sounds like a feast. We will miss you this year, but hope you have a great time with your family.
    it is always fun to pull out the china and host a big holiday at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so yummy!! Hope it goes well for you! I love it when it's my turn to host a big holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you would come by and cook at our house, this sounds so good. Fun list! :) I am a transplanted New Englander, wherever you are, have a great holiday. New follower, over from Ohamanda ~Lori

    ReplyDelete