Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pumpkin Cookies

'Member when I tried the pumpkin snickerdoodles and didn't think they were pumpkin-y enough? I mentioned I had a pumpkin cookie recipe that was the pumpkin cookie standard for me.


Old Bedford Village Pumpkin Drop Cookies. I can remember being there, walking around, and having these for the first time. I don't know if the recipe was there to pick up or buy or if my mom had to ask for it. I don't make them often because Craig doesn't really like pumpkin things (appalling!) and also because he thinks it's not a cookie if it doesn't have chocolate in it.

These are perfect, cakey and pumpkiny and soft . . . if you like pumpkin. Sam and I have been enjoying them very much.

Old Bedford Village Pumpkin Drop Cookies, as handwritten on a recipe card by my mom:

1 cup margerine (I used unsalted butter)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 can pumpkin (1 lb)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg (I used 1/2)
pinch salt
1 tsp. lemon juice*
1 cup coconut*
1 cup broken nuts*
4 cups flour

(* I didn't have any of these so didn't add them)

Mix everything in order given. (I used my mixer, creaming the butter and sugar first, and then adding the other ingredients as I measured them.)


Be sure to mix flour last.




Use two teaspoons or a cookie scoop to place dough on cookie sheets.




Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Mine took 14 - 15 minutes, until they looked done and were slightly brown around the edges.



I scooped some out and chilled them in the fridge for about half an hour and then rolled them in the leftover sugar/spice mix from the pumpkin snickerdoodles. This didn't make any noticeable difference in the taste, but it did make me feel good for using the rest of that mixture.




My mom added at the bottom "Recipe can be doubled - double each ingredient." I think that's hilarious because it would take hours to bake that many cookies. But if you do need masses of pumpkin cookies, it's good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment