Thursday, November 10, 2011

Apple Squares


This recipe comes from the Mousam Lake Cookbook, a cook book of contributions from people on the lake where my in-laws have a camp. I don't have one, I think they were printed before I met Craig. Despite their official name, in my mind I refer to this as "Sandra's Apple Cake" since my first experience with them were when Craig's aunt (Sandra) made these and added the chocolate chips.


I scribbled down the recipe on this lovely piece of Sal's stationery. I keep recipes I print from the internet or write down or pull from magazines in page protectors in binders. If I had more energy or initiative I might make the whole thing matchy-matchy and incorporate some system for adding new recipes other than waiting until the pile of new ones is so big I have to sit down and add 56 new pages. But this system works well enough; I found this in the "breakfast/bread" binder in the "bread" section so it's not that disorganized.


For some reason we did not go apple picking this year. It was never really convenient or we didn't have energy when it was, so I bought the apples at the grocery store. I got a Granny Smith to add in but in the final product you can't tell that I mixed it up like that.



Mix ingredients, spread in pan. Spread brown sugar and mini chocolate chips on top.






Craig thought my pumpkin pancake pictures needed some powdered sugar so I sprinkled some on for these.





Lovely, huh?




Here's the recipe:


Apple Squares (a.k.a Sandra's Apple Bread)



2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 cup salad oil (this ingredient makes me laff; salad oil? dates the recipe for sure. I used 1/2 cup canola because it's better than veg. and half a cup of applesauce [unsweeteened] because that's how I roll when a recipe says 1 cup of oil)

3 cups flour (I used 2 all-purpose and 1 whole wheat 'cause that's my new thing, dividing the flour measurement up between all-purp and WW)

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg (I did 1/2 because I have nutmeg issues)

3 cups chopped apple

3/4 brown sugar

1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 350.


Mix the sugar, eggs, and oil (or oil & applesauce) in a large bowl and mix well.


Add the dry ingredients and the chopped apple. (I mixed the dry in a separate bowl and added to the wet with the apples.) Spread in greased/sprayed 9x13 baking dish.


Top with 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (add more if coverage is spotty), and the walnuts, if you have them (I did not).


Bake 35 - 40 minutes at 350 degrees until baked (not gooey).


I didn't really write down the directions word-for-word but these should get the job done for ya.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just made these! They are one of my fall favorites!

    ReplyDelete