Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pumpkin: Snickerdoodles & Muffins

The other day, my sister-in-law put on facebook that she'd seen a recipe for pumpkin snickerdoodles and was packing for a trip or she'd make them. I thought about them almost non-stop for two days and decided to try making them without waiting for her to test them first.

First, I did some research, comparing the recipe I found online (everyone seemed to go back to this one) to the snickerdoodle recipe in my Cookie cookbook (a gift from the same SIL). These are called the Best-Ever Snickerdoodles, and the truly are the best snickerdoodles, ever.





I took a picture of this step but it was entirely pointless since I don't know enough about the science of baking to know why one called for baking soda and the other baking powder; I did add 1 tsp cream of tartar since in the post from Recipe Girl (the recipe I printed) she mentions adding it the next time she made them.

First I made them with my little Pampered Chef scoop:








These I didn't flatten with a glass as RG suggests, they were still cold from being chilled and didn't spread much.


Next I used the medium scoop to make the whole thing go faster:



and I flattened those.


My verdict: eh.* Just, eh.



I wouldn't say they were good but they weren't exactly bad, either. They didn't have much pumpkin taste at all and I think the cream of tartar made them dry and gave them a weird aftertaste. Or maybe they're just a dry cookie, or I baked them too long. I baked three sheets (about 3 dozen) and then tossed the rest of the unbaked dough since a) I was hot and wanted to get out of the kitchen and turn the oven off and b) they weren't good enough (in my opinion) to give away.


I used the rest of the can of pumpkin for muffins:






These turned out really, really good: very moist, which must be from the extra 1/4 of pumpkin in them (this recipe calls for 1 cup of pumpkin which is half a can, so I usually double it or have half a can of pumpkin in the fridge until I throw it out. Since the cookies used 3/4 cup, I just put the rest of the can in the muffins).


I'm curious to see how Andrea's pumpkin snickerdoodles turn out. I have a recipe from my mom for "Old Bedford Village Pumpkin Cookies" and they're just so yummy and pumpkiny so maybe I'll add the sugar-spice coating from the snickerdoodles to the pumpkin cookies and see how that works out. But I'll wait for a cooler day to do that.


*Update since I wrote this yesterday: the cookies seem to be better after being in a tin (with some muffins, I had too many muffins for one tin) for a few days. They are moister and more pumpkiny; funny aftertaste is slightly reduced. They're still not the spicy, snickerdoodley pumpkin perfection I was hoping for.

1 comment:

  1. If you love pumpkin recipes, I'd like to recommend a recipe I found a few years ago for Pumpkin Dip.

    http://whatadayitis.blogspot.com/2011/09/oldie-but-goodie.html

    I had to comment as anonymous b/c for some crazy reason, my info isn't accepted. ?

    ReplyDelete