Monday, September 19, 2011

Consignment Stores

Alright, I didn't want to keep you waiting.

I think what it ultimately comes down to is the area I live in is kind of, hmm, how should I say it? unfashionable? Because I hear about people getting good deals at consignment stores and I like consignment stores, but every time I set foot in one around here I get aggravated by what a hunormous waste of time it is.

First of all, the stuff on the racks is poor quality. All of it. I am willing to look, but pilled sweatpants and streched-out target t-shirts are not what I'm in the market for.

Secondly, there's the price tag on these worn-out clothes. I can buy new sweatpants at Old Navy or new t-shirts at Target for less than what the places around here want. So even if it was something I wanted to buy, I don't want to pay that price (for crying out loud, if you're willing to look, you can get things at Gymboree for 3 or 4 dollars. I mean, if we're looking, why not do it in a clean, organized, pleasant-smelling store?)

And the straw that breaks my camel's back is that I never make money from consigning clothes. Remember those pilled sweatpants? I'm not bringing in pilled hanes sweatpants. And they're not taking my stuff .

Last week I took two handle bags of stuff to Lots for Tots. I left with 90% of what I took in and $13. So I guess I had 13 more dollars than I began the day with, but I had to pay a dollar toll. Both ways. The good part is the place is two doors down from Hobby Lobby so I could wander around finding things to spend my consignment haul on before I got it.

I wonder (but am not really willing to test my theory with a day trip) if closer to Boston the things in consignment stores get nicer. I'm so blessed to have a friend who gives me masses of hand-me-downs for Kate, and for everything else I guess I'll stick to shopping sale and clearance racks when I have a coupon for an extra percent off.

2 comments:

  1. I don't even bother with consignment. I give our clothes away to friends or goodwill. Not that Goodwill/Thrift store prices are always great but I definitely have better luck there than I ever have at consignment shops. Not so much for me (being tall is a real disadvantage) but for the kids I do awesome. Most of their wardrobe is from this place we have, Savers, and it's all in like brand-new condition, some stuff still has tags on them. I'm like you I refuse to buy walmart brand clothing when I can get Gymboree for the same price so I only choose good quality pieces that are in good condition. I have bought most of Noah and Owen's jeans at thrift stores. I only buy ones that are in good condition...no holes, no worn out knees and I have not paid more than $5 a pair. They are going to rip holes in the knees a month after I buy them anyway so why pay $25 for them- and with 5 kids it's not like I can afford to even if I wanted to anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same issue with consignment stores and good will. It's very rare that I ever find anything at them. I'd much rather give away my clothes to goodwill then bother with consignment. and B's clothes I either lend out or give away. So many people have given me that I feel I should do the same thing for them.

    I'm with ya on the deal shopping. I've gotten two pairs of skinny jeans at old navy for so cheap, one for .97 and one for 2.00! They would have been $6 used, even at good-will!

    ReplyDelete