Friday, August 19, 2011

Summer Afternoon

Hey, guess what I did? I took some pictures of the making of my clam chowder with the thought that I'll do a post on it.

Don't hold your breath. But it could happen.

Summer is winding down and I am really sad about that. I love fall, and winter has some nice parts, and spring can be lovely (OK, what I'm trying to say is I like having seasons), but summer. . . Who was it, Henry James?

Summer afternoon - summer afternoon... the two most beautiful words in the English language.

I love how carefree and relaxed we can be in the summer. I love that my kids get to run wild in Maine. I love being able to go places and do things we don't have time for the rest of the year.

I guess it's the limited nature of it that makes it so special . . .

from Emily Dickinson:

Water, is taught by thirst.
Land -- by the Oceans passed.
Transport -- by throe --
Peace -- by its battles told --
Love, by Memorial Mold --
Birds, by the Snow.

from Joni Mitchell:
don't it always seem to go/that you don't know what you got till it's gone

. . . although with summer, we know what's coming and that it needs to be enjoyed because we'll be snowed in soon enough. But I still like that lyric.



No comments:

Post a Comment