Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer School

So, one summer (I think the summer after my freshman year), I stayed in Greenville for two weeks because my cousin (there's no page for her so that's her husband) was getting married two weeks after school and my parents weren't going to drive down to get me and drive home and then drive down again in two weeks. Neither were they going to pay to fly me home, so instead of staying with my grandmother or aunt (she's the fourth one down) and uncle for those two weeks, I infringed on my relatively new friendship with Jan and stayed with her family.

She might have been in summer school, or at least some people we knew were in summer school, so we went to have lunch with them. When we came out from lunch, the air looked weird. Like we needed to clean off our eyes or our glasses were foggy or something.

Later we found out there had been a partial solar eclipse and that's why it looked weird.

(Yep, that's it. A completely random story about thinking we needed to windex our eyeballs because no one watched the news. Not that the summer school students in the dorms would have had a chance to, anyway. My point is, it wasn't all bad. I made some great friends and some funny memories, and while now I wish I could reach back through time and shake the then-me out of her clueless kool-aid coma, I can also happily accept everything that went before as making me who I am today. Whether it makes me cringe or laugh or sigh, it's from a gracious Father's hand.)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, this reminds me of the time I woke up at 2 in the afternoon during grad school and stumbled out of my apartment to check the mail to see if I got anything good. It was like armagedeon had happened -- red sky, piles of ash covering everything, hot dry air... and not a soul was around. It was so quiet I literally thought the world had ended.

    It was just the San Diego firestorms but it was freaky all the same!

    ReplyDelete