Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Babies

Let me tell you, getting to snuggle my tiny new niece was fantastic. She is a sweet, calm little thing and so adorable. I don't have pictures (yet) because I didn't take my camera but I will share when my sister sends the ones she took. I got to play with Belle and marvel how quickly the time has passed since I was down visiting after she was born.

Last night I was washing dishes at my in-laws' camp, gazing out at the lake, and saw a pair of loons. This was surprising enough since we haven't seen the loons very much this year and not two of them together, when I noticed another tiny little wake next to the two bigger wakes of the floating loons. I stopped what I was doing and found the binoculars - there was a baby there!

We haven't had a baby loon here for years. The last time there was an egg, I was pregnant, and that egg didn't hatch. These loons must have a different nesting place than the one we could see from our camp all those years ago. Baby loons are fuzzy little puffballs and sometimes one of the parents will carry the baby on its back. It's really cute. I hope to get a good picture and I'll share with you when I do.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to go and visit Lily (and the fam)! I can't wait to see pictures! I just can't believe you did not take your camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily loves to be snuggled, for sure. Thanks for coming to see us. You are missed already.

    ReplyDelete