Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Four and Twenty Blackbirds

These pie birds make me think of "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie."








As with everything, there's a story.




Which I'm going to tell you.




Two Thanksgivings ago, Craig and I watched an episode of Good Eats the Wednesday night before Turkey Day. Alton made an apple pie (among other things, I think) and used a pie bird. The next day, I saw my mother-in-law had a pie bird on her window sill. It was so adorable and unbelievable that there was one just after learning what they were; I didn't think an average person had them. I wanted to collect them.




As with many things, easier said than done.




Most place I ask don't know what they are. And I could get them off ebay but the hunt is part of the fun, right?




A few weeks ago (when I procured the window above our bed), I found one in an antique store near here. And then last week, my mother-in-law got the other one for me . . . I was so excited. Two is better than one; two is a pair! Two is a . . . collection! yay!




My children keep asking "Why do you have two?"




What will they think when I have four and twenty?

1 comment:

  1. I love pie birds, as you know! I have black one and the boys got me a white one for my 30th bday. Unfortunately, the white one broke a few weeks ago, such a sad day.
    They are cool little things to have/collect.

    ReplyDelete