Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oxymoron

I made a trip down to Trader Joe's (it's just far enough past the mall to require special planning to go to) for one-ingredient peanut butter.

I mean really. It never occurred to me that peanut butter should be made from, you know, only peanuts. But then I read a blog post (somewhere, I forgot to bookmark it; oh wait! maybe it's on stumble) about how "natural" peanut butter from the big brands like Jif or Skippy still use some kind of hydrogenated oil to make it shelf stable and had a link to Krema peanut butter, which has one ingredient.

Peanuts.

It was a big 'duh' moment for me, kind of like watching Food, Inc., and realizing indeed cows are not supposed to eat corn. Or hormones that make them be fat enough for market a year earlier than their more normally fed counterparts.

Ugh. It makes my stomach turn thinking about it. The e.coli, the washing the meat with ammonia, etc. If you thought Super Size Me was a gastronomical turn-off to fast food, Food, Inc. will have you asking waiters where your beef came from: a containment and feed lot or a field.

But I digress. What was I talking about? oh right. Peanut butter.

So. I trek to Trader Joe's and find my one-ingredient PB. Not even salt for me: one ingredient. I forget to get the low-sugar jelly (because it's not everywhere; I don't want the no sugar one. Why, you ask, did I not get jelly at TJ's? I have no idea. Habit, I guess.) and Sam agreed to a PB and fluff sandwich.

I whip his lunch together (because it's the end of the school year and I'm running out of steam here . . . there's just so much to remember in the morning, like, eat, drink coffee, and pack a lunch) and as I'm cleaning up I realize what an oxymoron I have: I went to all that effort for the peanut butter and then paired it up with fluff.

Is there anything less natural than fluff?



1 comment: