Thursday, March 3, 2011

Quilt How-To

I will tell you how to get your own quilt like this in 5 easy steps.


1. Marry someone whose mother quilts.


2. Start before this child is even born, asking for a quilt for the older child to "match his room," setting up a pattern where the grandchildren get quilts when they move into big beds.


3. Fall in love with a pattern in a magazine and stash that nugget of knowledge in the part of your brain that remembers random, non-essential pieces of information.


4. When this child moves into a "big girl bed," ask her (at the quilter's request) what she wants her quilt to be. Pass on the answer: Pink and brown and green with flowers and butterflies and tubas. Ignore her and ask for this pattern.


5. Be blown away by the amazing results.



Sorry, I guess that doesn't really help you.


She's amazing, isn't she (my mother-in-law)?



That first picture? I used the tripod and the manual setting, just like Layla told me to. I did for the rest but that first one, especially, I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Thank you, Nana.



4 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful! That first pic looks like something out of a magazine. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE that first picture!! The quilt is beautiful, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan IS amazing. Such a beautiful quilt and what a labor of love! You've done a really nice job with her room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally forgot about the "tuba".... I was going to try to find a piece of fabric with a tuba on it and applique it on the back of the quilt! HA

    Glad you BOTH love it. She was so sweet when I handed it to her. She put her head on it and giggled :) Couldn't have been a better reaction!

    Now on to Carissa's............ "rainbows and horses".... purple and pinks :)

    ReplyDelete