Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bloomsburg

After I finished at BJU, I got a job (through the BJU career office, whatever it's called) at a Christian school in Bloomsburg, PA. Bloomsburg Christian School.

I started in the middle of the year since I finished in December. I had no idea what I was doing. For awhile I lived with a family in the church, until I got a tiny, tiny apartment. I taught 7th and 8th grade English, 7th PA History, 8th grade Bible, and I'm sure other things. That's only 4 classes. There was another junior high teacher and we team-taught, so she did science and math.

Did I mention I had no idea what I was doing? Pretty much every night I'd come home from school and plan out the next day.

I was there for a year and a half, finished out the 97-98 school year (lest you think I lost my mind and left in the middle of a school year), and moved to New England.

Turns out, the 8th grade class that I started with thought they had gotten their former teacher fired. They were very full of themselves, in that rebelliously entitled way Christian school kids can be, and thought they could send me on my way, too.

I was quite busy being a good BJ graduate and trying to figure out what in the world was going on with a place that wanted to know if I could say the books of the Bible in the interview, didn't believe in Christmas trees, and talked about being a B.A.P.T.I.S.T.

One day, the students were talking about something, who knows, and I said something, and one of the kids was replied, "I'm telling the principal," and I laughed and said "Go ahead, what do you think they'll do, fire me?"

A few weeks later I found out that they did indeed think they'd been instrumental in the previous teacher leaving and I laughed to myself that I'd said what I said not knowing what had gone on in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment