Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ten Movies

Eleven years ago last week, I met the man of my dreams. And 10 years ago this month, I was blessed to marry him. So here's another 10 years of marriage top-10: Ten movies that we've liked, laughed at, and watched more than once in our relationship.




1. The Sixth Sense: On our first non-date, we were at a Halloween party and The Sixth Sense came up. Some people had seen it, Craig and I had not. I had read the ending in Entertainment Weekly (the article did warn that it was going to spoil the end but I kept reading). The people who had seen it offered to stop talking about it out of respect for those who hadn't, but we shrugged and said go ahead. So it's become "our joke" (like "our song," only funnier): I told him the end of The Sixth Sense, setting us up for a pattern of me reading too much, knowing a lot about movies that I haven't seen, and generally thinking that knowing the end before I see the movie saves me from having to watch it again.





2. Pirates of the Caribbean: We watched this when Sam was about 4 days old and I could not follow it. It seems that since giving birth, I can't follow the plot of basic movies and Craig has to explain them to me.





3. The Village: I guess we're dating ourselves by all the M. Night Shyamalan movies on the list; the first three were really good. I was excited about The Village (looked creepy in the trailers and we were finally going out after having a baby) and Craig guessed the twist. I didn't want to believe him but he was right.





4. Fireproof: Our church showed this for a couples' Valentine's event and we went for a little Kirk Cameron fix. It turned out to be a lot better than we expected.





5. The Departed: We really like this. It's a little rough, but so. well. done.





6. Office Space: Craig introduced me to this and, well, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Saturday. I don't like to talk about my flair.


7. Walk the Line or Ray: We liked both of these . . . they're basically the same movie, aren't they? And after each of them we added Johnny Cash and Ray Charles to our playlists.



8. Harry Potter: This is all me. I've read the books. I wanted to get book 7 at midnight and read it one day. But Craig tolerates it. He drove me to the mall for the midnight release. He watches the movies with me and lets me describe in detail what happened in the books that didn't make it into the movies which, in my opinion, should have, since those were key plot elements and makes other things that happen make more sense and clarifies characters' motivations.



9. Slumdog Millionaire: Craig did not want to see this. I totally did. I started watching it one night and he quickly became absorbed and admitted it was really good; he didn't know what the premise was but he ended up really liking it. Why does he question me?

10. Forrest Gump: On our honeymoon, we ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and Craig realized I had never seen the movie. Once I saw it, I loved it. I cried and cried when Bubba died . . . I asked Craig if he died and he said no (he claimed he meant that Bubba wasn't dead when Forrest found him). If we're flipping channels and this is on, we always stop to watch.

Now. Push the pause button and head to ohamanda for more lists.

1 comment:

  1. Fun list! I can't believe your husband figured out the Village, I didn't see it coming. If you haven't seen Shyamalan's Signs or Lady in the Water yet, I recommend them both.

    ReplyDelete