Sunday, September 19, 2010

Healthy Morning Muffins

My sister-in-law posted this recipe awhile ago. I thought, with school starting, it might be good for Sam to eat more for breakfast than half a bowl of cold cereal and I thought I'd try these.

I made a few changes which I will detail below.

Makes 12

Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup skim milk
4 medium carrots, shredded
1 medium ripe banana, mashed

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until there are no lumps. Stir in oats and raisins. Add oil, egg, milk, carrots, and banana and stir until blended.

Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature. (To store, keep in an airtight container, up to 3 days.)

From Everyday Food, January 2010
I didn't have any bananas (for all the times this summer I tossed overripe bananas because I was not in the mood to make banana bread, I didn't have any for this recipe) so I used applesauce.
I had 2 really big carrots instead of 4 medium and I shredded them first and then chopped them up really fine in the food processor.
I used canola oil instead of olive and I used chocolate chips instead of raisins.

I sprinkled the tops with some of this

which was offered in May; they have other flavors available.

Meanwhile, my husband was doing this:



Like his presentation? I'm not into really spicy things, but these are very good.

When the muffins came out, I arranged them for this picture.





These came out OK. I have a thing about nutmeg (I don't add it to my cream sauces, for instance) so I didn't like the prevalent nutmeg flavor. If I made them again, I'd use cinnamon.

Sam like them a lot. That makes it worth the effort to try again.

Thanks, Andrea.









3 comments:

  1. that topping stuff from PC looks so good! Glad Sam liked the muffins. The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. 1/2 tsp is too much for my taste buds too. Cinnamon would be a great substitute. Those wings look good too, go Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you re-posted this. I had written this recipe down when it was first posted from Andrea but never made them. The house smells delicious because Carissa and I just whipped them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just hear Kate when she saw them... "ohhh chocolate chips!"

    They look good!!

    FYI, Fred ate his Klondike bar all by himself today :(

    ReplyDelete