Monday, August 9, 2010

Sometimes I get a good idea . . .

. . . and can't sit still until I try it out.

(Let me begin by thanking my sister for inspiring and helping me to clean up my craft space so now I can drag out all manner of new crafts to clutter it up.)

I was looking online at personalized shirts with monograms or numbers (for birthdays) and while they were wicked cute, couldn't bring myself to spend $35 or more for a shirt. (Oh, you want links? well, I'm tired and don't want to do it now).

So I thought up this:
Super cute, huh? I didn't even buy a new shirt. I used one Kate already had. Of course the fabric came from my legendary stash. It was a bundle of coordinating fabrics I bought years ago.
I even too a picture of the project in progress:

I cut 2" squares from the fabric and patched them together. I didn't line up the seams to enhance the patchwork-y feel. Also because I didn't feel like getting up to get my pins to pin the seams together.

I ironed on the fusible web and then printed a "4" (arial block, at 550 font size), which I traced onto the paper backing. I cut it out, peeled off the paper, and ironed it onto the shirt. I tried really hard to make it straight but it looks crooked to me.

Then I did a zig-zag stitch all around the edges to help it stay on.

Then I did this:

(made a camera strap cover)

There are many things I would do differently next time, among them measuring with a ruler, looking up directions online, and not telling Craig what I'm doing (I was literally about to put it on the strap and he said, "now I can never use it, it's too girly." good grief. It's blue, for crying out loud).

But hind sight is 20/20, isn't it?

Do you recognize the dot fabric? It's from one of the nursing covers I made. Oh. I never finished that post. The navy gingham is from the binding of Sam's quilt. Both pieces were already cut.

6 comments:

  1. I wish I could sew!! It is all so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew creative! Love the tee. I'd love one myself but the age thing is a bad idea. I'm with Craig on the strap...polka dots are always girlie, the gingham is just icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shirt is so awesome!! I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome job! I love the shirt AND the camera strap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the camera strap!! Shirt is super cute, too!!

    ReplyDelete