Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Extremely Long Society Post

Well, I still have 4 more years of roommates to write about . . . yep, I did college on the 5-year plan. And dorm life. And profs & classes . . . but today I will tell you about the non-human love of my life,

Chi Kappa Delta.

BJU has societies. Not fraternities/sororities. Those are heathen, liberal, student-organized entities. Society at Bob Jones is run by the school (really wish I could do the cross-through . . .Liz? blog lesson, please. That word "run" should be controlled). Naturally this mattered not to me at the time. My mom was in Chi Kappa. My aunt and cousins were. They were all presidents of Chi Kappa. It was my destiny.

Oh, and those girls were cool. They had a tent set up (rush being 3 days at the end of the first week; at 5:30 AM the societies could race for the best/traditional spot) in their own little island of space in front of the art building. After I visited them, they sent me a handwritten (if I remember right) note inviting me to their rush party on Saturday night. This made me feel loved. Accepted. Wanted. Forget that they probably sent everyone that visited their tent the same note, they wanted me.

I briefly briefly briefly (about a nanosecond) considered joining my red-haired roommate's small, pathetic little society, the Angels, because it was small and pathetic and if they didn't get their numbers up they would be closed down. I went with Chi Kappa (they sent the note, remember? and there might have been candy involved). In later years I tried to re-create for new rushees what they did for me but my memories of other rushes are foggy. I can't believe this is because I didn't participate much, but maybe it is.

So. Friday night of rush, everyone has a big rush party (girls on their side and boys on theirs). Chi Kappa had little hot dogs on sticks and who knows what else. They had history and coolness on their side. On my roommate's advice, I cruised around to all the other rush parties for whatever goodies they were handing out.

In retrospect, the red-haired roommate (who was also the Prayer Captain, remember? That means she had demonstrated sufficient spirituality to be the leader of all us other reprobate heathens. *Side note: I was not an A[ssistant]PC until my [first] senior year. I know girls who were APCs second semester their freshman year. That's a lot of . . . turning other people in? or brownnosing? or I don't know what. Putting on a good show, it would seem to me. There's so much fakeness [in my mind] associated with the appearance- and rules-based system that was my experience at BJU. anyway . . .) might have thought that if I joined XKD I'd be heading straight down the road to perdition. One of Bob Jones Sr's College Shipwrecks (that link will only take you to the BJU campus store site's three books about Senior; that book might be out of print).

I have to digress here again (maybe on a editing read-through I can make this all make sense but there's the whole time issue thing. As in, not having enough): I found this blog, from a woman who went to BJU and taught there and then was basically forced out. I want her to be my new cyber BFF (sorry, Angie, I have enough bloggy love to go around). She says pretty much what I want to say and so much better; I think I would be remiss to not send you over there. She's an incredibly intelligent writer. I started with the "Ebenezers," which are her story of leaving fundamentalism. I think a lot of what she says mirrors my own journey since (physically) leaving that place: that God is Love and we live under Grace.


Anyway, back to my story of rush. Saturday of Rush, all the booths and tents had to come down. That night the freshmen all met in the FMA (Founder's Memorial Amphitorium; big space where all big things took place) and one by one a representative of each society would run out from backstage and if that was the society you were joining, you followed the runner. Then you ran to where that society met and were inducted.

When we got to Chi Kappa's room, we were hushed and walked in to the girls holding candles and singing "Living for Jesus," XK's song. It was all very solemn and moving. When we were all in, we (the freshmen) had to say why were joining XK and then we took a vow:


  • to not let a cute member of the opposite sex go undated by me or my Chi Kappa sisters;




  • to not let my lipstick smudge, smear, or get on my teeth;




  • something about nude hose (probably not wearing them);




  • and probably something about wearing green and yellow (society colors) on Friday (society day)(which I did faithfully every Friday even when I student taught).

Then there was a skit of girls who had varieties of "disorders," from singing all the time, to cheering all the time, to assorted other crazy behaviors. I distincly remember Katey stainding up and (she was the cheer-osbsessed) saying/cheering "sit down Diana." The "therapist" (Jane, by the way, the most uber-classy girl you could ever hope to meet) figured out they all liked to sing and they broke into the theme song for my next 4.5 years:


D-R-A-G-O-N-S
Chi Kappa Dragons are the best
we know, we know, we know we know we know.
Or maybe it was :

Chi Kappa is the best
we all rate high we pass the test
we never quit we always try
our standard here is do or die
our girls are always on the top
they dive right in they never stop
We're Chi Kappa Delta
We're Number one!
Go Chi Kappa!


Yes. We were crazy. But my best friends, the lasting friends from that time, were all Dragons (I didn't mention? That was our mascot). It dominated my life at BJ (well, until CRC* but that's another story). We still think "Chi Kappa born, Chi Kappa bred, and when we die we'll be Chi Kappa dead." Hat/glove set in LL Bean in green with yellow trim? Buy it. Yellow and green sleeper for our babies? Buy it. I use the term "we" loosely. Maybe it's just me.

*Community Relations Council

Oh, and we ate the original dragon breath food, taco salad.

The year I was the runner for XK and I tied the flag around my shoulders like a cape and jumped off the front of the stage (usually only men's societies did this, but I was determined to break down gender barriers). Every year I was there we did some variation on the crazy group of people soothed by the arrival of a classy Chi Kappa woman and then breaking into song.

Societies met every Friday for society and also Sunday for Sunday school. They did sports together, and debate, and the question/answer competition I can't remember the name to now. They also organized outings, dating one semester and stag the other. I'll get more into that later, but suffice it to say that we Dragons were so cool and good-looking that guys would beg to matched with anyone in order to go to our outings.

I never did become president. The highest position I held (elections were held in the spring) was historian. Just another way I failed my mother. But I loved XK with every fiber of my being and even decorated my first apartment with the pilfered flag/cape.

No comments:

Post a Comment