Thursday, February 11, 2010

Prayer

I started a post about prayer awhile ago but it ended up sounding pretentious and boring so I gave up on it. But the idea stayed with me so I'm going to try again.


I find myself praying about things all day. Insignificant things: finding my earrings, finding the remote, Kate to fall back asleep at 5:2o when I hear her little feet, finding my keys, a quick "O Lord help me" when I feel myself teetering on the edge . . .

Notice a theme? I pray to find things a lot. I learned this from my mom. I often find that after I pray, the next place I think of to look is where I find the item. Coincidence? Nope. I think it's God showing me where to look. And when the item doesn't show up right away (like the 20 minutes or so I spent looking for my diamond earrings and was beginning to think they were the "teeny thing" Kate had put in the gate), I find that I really have to stop and pray and then let go. Because He knows where things are. And He'll show me if He wants to.

I do pray for big things. I've been learning to have a set, focused time (usually in the morning but often there is a quiet little pocket of time after Kate goes down for her rest if I don't get to it first thing) of praying. I even have a list so I don't forget the things that I've told people I will pray for (but I have to say [I might have read about this on Stuff Christians Like, too] that if I say I will pray for something I try to pray for it right away so I am not a liar).

Back to the insignificant, I pray that I have the energy to get out of bed in the morning. I used to wonder why I wasn't bouncing out of bed, humming a tune, brimming with excitement and enthusiasm for the fun and educational things I was going to do with my children . . . and then I realized. God is giving me the energy to get out of bed. I'm getting up, aren't I? As in, standing on two feet and moving under my own locomotion. Maybe I need to work on my first-thing-in-the-morning attitude . But energy? Yes. He's giving me the energy.

I should recognize, too, that whether I think something's big or small, important or insignificant, we're told to cast all our cares on Him. He cares for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment